Monday, February 2, 2009

Iowa Chops!

TNT traveled to the Wells Fargo Arena (aka the Meat Locker) for some hockey action on Friday, January 30th. We saw a game between the Iowa Chops and the Peoria Rivermen. The Chops are the minor league affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks. (Things I didn't know until today.) They were also doing a "Pack the Meat Locker" promotion and were trying to lure fans in with $5 of Wendy's vouchers. (It worked for us!) Sadly, only 8,300 fans showed up and they fell short of the 8,900 goal.

On to the hockey game. Have you ever heard the expression "We went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"? Well, that's kind of what the game felt like on Friday. The second period saw 4 major penalties dished out for fighting and two players had to leave the game due to rather large cuts over their eyes sustained in the fights. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fights as much as anyone, however, I couldn't help but feel like they were a little bit forced on this evening. It's like the marketing group went down to the players and said "We have a large crowd tonight... Put on a good show... People aren't coming here for the hockey action..." Between the fights and the cheerleaders (The Baby Backs) wearing about as much clothing as some of the new born babies in the Pella area, I was a little disappointed in the ol' Iowa Chops. (I didn't even mention the hot tub next to the arena with the Grandview students in their two piece swim suits that made their way to the Jumbotron more than a couple times...) It was pretty obvious what kind of fans they were appealing to, and how they wanted to keep them coming back.

It was kind of sad because overall, the hockey game was actually really good! Iowa overcame a 3-1 deficit, and tied it in the third period...sending it to overtime. Neither team was able to do anything in overtime, so it went to a shootout, with the Rivermen winning 3-1. I am pretty sure I could have goal tended about as well as the Iowa Goalie did in the shootout... :)

I pondered all of these things late into the night...all while enjoying $5.05 of Wendy's entrees. Hmmm... Wendy's....

1 comment:

JenP said...

I think I am going to try and use my Wendy's voucher today. It's only good in Des Moines, M-town and Ames by Feb 15!

I enjoyed the game but not all the fluff - but that's how I am about most major sporting events . . .

I am glad I went . . . good times.