Monday, November 3, 2008

True, Kind and Necessary

One of the things going through my mind is this idea that Sheila brought up. When we have talked about "the tongue" and it's power in James 3, we talked about how do we know when to say something. There is so much power in this small thing. So, we talked about 3 things to let us know when we should say something.

1) Is it true? This is usually where we stop - yes, this is true, so I will say it.
2) Is it kind? Hmm.
3) Is it necessary. Boy I could save myself some grief and be much more quiet if I would get to number 3.

Maybe the political candidates should live by this. We would have a lot fewer commercials.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I found it to be interesting that on the night of the election as I was praying and thinking of all the words thrown back & forth across the aisle, I was brought to Job 27:3-9. I know it does not, as a whole, pertain to the same subject matter as this post; however I think a few of the verses are somewhat fitting to it.

"3 as long as I have life within me, the breath of God in my nostrils,
4 my lips will not speak wickedness, and my tongue will utter no deceit. ...
6b ... My conscience is clear for as long as I live."

Could you imagine if we all lived by that standard in obedience to God?

~ Lorraine